Re: [OM] Maybe [OT] PayPal Surcharges

Subject: Re: [OM] Maybe [OT] PayPal Surcharges
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:16:44 -0700
On 21 Mar 2001, at 0:16, Andrew Dacey wrote:

> > Interesting!  I charge a fee to PayPal payors, and e-Bay hasn't hassled
> > me.  Did a buyer complain?  What's the URL that shows that rule?
>
> It's illegal though in many places to pass that cost onto the seller.
> Many retailers get around this by offering a "cash discount" because
> it's not illegal to offer a discount on a price.

My bet is that wherever it's illegal the law say's sellers can't *directly*
pass the cost onto the buyer.  Doesn't matter, though, as sellers
indirectly pass it on to all customers as a part of their mark-up to cover
overhead costs.

> Don't know how you can manipulate that situation in this case though.

That's easy...  charge all sellers some sort of "handling fee" to cover
overhead cost, including PayPal fees.  Anyone know if THAT'S against
e-Bay rules?

Regards,

Chris