[OM] OT: Kanon EOS (OM rules!)

Subject: [OM] OT: Kanon EOS (OM rules!)
From: Eric Goodell <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:39:18 -0500
My father recently purchased a cannon EOS rebel 2000
(what's with 2000 anyways?). He had done a lot of research,
as it was a big decision to move away from his Canin mf.
The autofocus is of course fun, but
the 28-80 zoom that came with it seems to have its lens
elements made of plastic. Some pics taken with it have the
quality of a 30$ point and shoot in terms of contrast. He
is an experienced amateur photographer, so I think he
realizes this too, but he's not the type to bring it up
because it would involve spending more $ on better lenses
of similar focal length. He really likes the zoom range
(after using 50mm for decades), but it would do my heart
good to see a good quality lens on his new investment. Are
there other better zooms? I feel like this is a dear abbey
letter, but if anyone has experience with eos lenses,
please let me know what other GOOD quality lens options are.

Second, (a little zuiko ae mf triumphalism here) there are
as many exposure modes as there are f-stop settings on a
normal lens! 3 hours of studying photographic theory would
eliminate the need for all those program settings.

Obligatory om content: I got into photography due to Dad's
interest, but my own consumer research led me to an OM-G
bought with paper route money over a dozen years ago. I
never understood why anyone would want to invest in other
brands (except maybe Rolleiflex, but that's another story)

Eric