Re: [OM] 135/3.5 repaired

Subject: Re: [OM] 135/3.5 repaired
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:05:38 -0400

Volkhart Baumgaertner wrote:

> Huh? I don't get it. What's the contradiction between being Canadian and
> being American? What continent is Canada on, if it's not America (which is
> what I had thought so far)?
> While Germans and Austrians are _not_ the same, none of them would deny
> being European (which also goes for the French, Spanish, Italians,
> Portuguese, .....).
> So while, of course, Canadians and U.S.-Americans are not the same, how come
> some Canadians insist on not being American?

Well imagine if the continent of Europe was called France. Sure there'd
be a distinction between being from the continent of France and the
country of France, but how many Germans (or Austrians) would admit to
being French?

I have no problem with being North American, it's just that too often
people drop the adjective. Plus, usually when people ask, "are you
American?" they aren't thinking in terms of continent.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx