Re: [OM] Dead OM-4 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dead OM-4 ?
From: wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:35:28 +1100
John H wrote:

> Since the mirror can't go up, shutter won't fire, try  to holding camera
> upside down and shake, *maybe* this will move the screen out of the way
> enough for the lens to be dismounted normally. Other option is to force lens
> off.

Thanks for everyones contributions on this topic so far !

Last night I had a bit more of a fiddle with the OM-4.  Checked through the
viewfinder and with the small amount of light coming through, the focussing
screen appears to be aligned properly and the edges of the split image prisms
are in focus, so I'm assuming that the focussing screen is in place.  Think the
problem may be what Clint suggested, linkages crossed over in the aperture
coupling mechanisms ?  I think this is probably the first time I've used the
135 on this body, so there may be some tolerance problems which have surfaced
with this particular combination.  I tried Clint's suggestion of winding with
the shutter release slightly depressed on "B", but couldn't get the shutter to
remain open to look inside the mirror box.  If I force the lens off am I likely
to do any/much damage to either the lens or body ?  Would I be best to take it
to my local repair shop and get them to sort it out ?

...Wayne