RE: [OM] 135/3.5 repaired

Subject: RE: [OM] 135/3.5 repaired
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:43:45 +1100
>I'm an American and there are times when I would tend to agree with my
>Canadian brethren.  The 'low' points in this country's journey tend to
>overshadow, unfortunately, the 'high' points.  For every Monika Lewisnski or
>Jeffrey Dahmer, there's a hundred thousand decent, upstanding people that
>are quietly out of sight doing their best with the God-given gifts and
>talents they have.

Of course there are. We know this. It's just that Hollywood and US TV
(which, thanks to US cultural imperialism, dominate our airwaves) spent
most of the last century convincing us otherwise. And the fact that most of
your citizens that you let out seem to have had their embarassment glands
removed at puberty.

>And, BTW, we must still be doing something right here.  In the last two days
>I've been in a local post office where I heard being spoken a)Russian
>b)Chinese, and c)Spanish, and then a discount type store where all the staff
>as well as the customers seemed to be Russian.  Still seems to be an influx
>of residents and not a stampede to leave...

I can do better than that in a single classroom - 3 Serbs, one Bosnian, one
Shanghai White Russian, two Timorese, two Chinese, One Italian,one Afghani
and 11 Skips (Anglo-Celtic - short for Skippy).   Quite a few USians down
here - and many of them seem quite happy to stay.

>Just my $0.02 worth, and with the recent stock market plunge, it's probably
>only a cent and a half
>Jim

Ha! Your damn currency speculators have sold the AU$ down to under 50 cents
US and you're complaining. Our market goes down with yours too. My pension
will be worth half what it would have been 20 years ago.
And we still know with absolute certainty that this is the best country on
earth by a country kilometre.
Andrew
(what's the emoticon for 'tongue-in-cheek?')