Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters

Subject: Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters for iS?]
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:18:48 +0100
Per wrote:

:http://www.cyberphoto.se/pri_video_tillb.php . The ones that would be of
interest to me (as an
:iS-3000 owner) are a 2.0X teleconverter (1070 SEK), and a 4.0X teleconverter
(2235 SEK; no picture
:avialable). The 2.0X converter would give you 360 mm, and the 4.0X an amazing
720 mm(!), both with
:very little loss of light.

Hmm, I wonder if that is true. It may depend on the size of the front element.
The 2x doesn't sound too interesting to me, 300mm or 360mm is not a dramatic
difference. But the 4x... 720mm... (drool).

: Would these teleconverters be worth buying? Any comments would be welcome.

Of course, Per, you always wanted to do that headshot of Clarence the lion
without being eaten, didn't you? Here's your chance! ;)

Seriously, at such a price (HFL.522, USD.211) I would be very reluctant to order
it without having the option to check image quality first, and if indeed the
lens speed is more or less maintained. Is this an e-shop only (like the url
suggests) or do they also have a physical shop? And how about a 'not satisfied -
money return' warrenty?

Btw 1, I have a Hama catalogue and it lists a HR4x video converter, and even a
HR5x and HR12x converter, but all have an M46 thread; I would expect this would
result in serious light fall-off. Especially when I look at their pictures; the
front element aren't that much wider. Hmmm. 12x... 2160mm...

Btw 2, I found another manufacturer of HQ teleconverters (a growing market with
all these digicams): Raynox. I'm not sure if these are imported in Europe.

hnz