Was: Re: [OM] 180 2.8 on Ebay Is: MD1 vs MD2

Subject: Was: Re: [OM] 180 2.8 on Ebay Is: MD1 vs MD2
From: Motor Sport Visions Photography <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:22:02 -0800
In a message dated 3/21/2001 "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
writes:

<< MD1 is actually my favourite of the two. MD2 is much heavier, and
only works
comfortable when you have it 'permanently' attached to your camera. If
you only
use it occasionally or swap it between cameras in the middle of films
you have
to go through the pain and hassle of setting the frame counter using the
cute
little mini buttons. If you don't do that the MD2 will stop anyway when
its
counter has reached zero. The film rewind feature doesn't really speed
operation
up; it only drains the batteries and with my modified Control Pack that
now
contains NiMh cells rewind really doesn't work properly at all. >>

Great information Hans, thank you! Lighter weight is a huge plus...that
Mini-trekker is *heavy* when it is loaded up. I will likely not be
switching it between cameras much, if at all, but you raise a good point
I hadn't thought of.

The price for a MD1 certainly is more attractive than a MD2 as well. I
suppose my primary question is WRT reliability. Assuming I were to get a
MD1 in decent shape (batteries aside) is it reasonable to expect
reliable performance and what problems do they develop as they age?
FWIW, KEH has a "bargain" condition MD1 w/ Control Pack 1, and charger
for $144.00. Is that a decent price? What are the ranges for MD1s and
MD2s (complete with CP and Charger)? Should I assume that one will need
new Nicads unless they have been recently replaced? Got any extra MDs
kicking around Tom?

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com