Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters

Subject: Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters for iS?]
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:10:52 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide
converters for iS?]

> Per wrote:
>
> :http://www.cyberphoto.se/pri_video_tillb.php . The ones that would be of
> interest to me (as an
> :iS-3000 owner) are a 2.0X teleconverter (1070 SEK), and a 4.0X teleconverter
> (2235 SEK; no picture
> :avialable). The 2.0X converter would give you 360 mm, and the 4.0X an amazing
> 720 mm(!), both with
> :very little loss of light.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if that is true. It may depend on the size of the front element.
> The 2x doesn't sound too interesting to me, 300mm or 360mm is not a dramatic
> difference. But the 4x... 720mm... (drool).
>
> : Would these teleconverters be worth buying? Any comments would be welcome.
>
> Of course, Per, you always wanted to do that headshot of Clarence the lion
> without being eaten, didn't you? Here's your chance! ;)

Yes, if this 4.0X converter (giving 720 mm) is of sufficient quality it could
be a potential
replacement for my OM-2SP/Sigma 600/8 combo, but even so I'm not sure I would
be ready to sell off
my OM equipment (which incl. OM-2SP, 28-48/4, 75-150/4, 300/4.5, Sigma 600/8,
2X-A converter, T-20,
T-32). I often use my OM-2SP with the Sigma mirror at air shows and to shoot
naval vessels at long
distance (which is another of my "secret" hobbies  ;-). Right now there's a
600/8 Sigma mirror for
sale here at two different auctions (1350 SEK being the asking price), but this
example has "a bone
white finish just like the professional C*n*n lenses". My own example is black.
Would this white
Sigma 600/8 be a later improved design? I know this lens hasn't received the
best of reviews here
lately, and especially not the lens construction itself with tape reportedly
being used instead of
screws...

Actually it's not the males lions that one should look out for in the first
place, it's the
females...
The three lion males that we have are lazy and usually only have eyes for the
females. They came
from Longleat in UK in 1989, and their names are Svartöga ("Black Eye"), Rod
(after Rod Stewart of
course!) and Einstein (the name of the last one is somewhat of a contradiction
actually, since he's
not exactly the brightest of the three...  ;-)

> Seriously, at such a price (HFL.522, USD.211) I would be very reluctant to
> order
> it without having the option to check image quality first, and if indeed the
> lens speed is more or less maintained. Is this an e-shop only (like the url
> suggests) or do they also have a physical shop? And how about a 'not
> satisfied -
> money return' warrenty?

They do have a small store as well, but the problem is they're located in Umeå
in the north of
Sweden (about 1000 km north of where I'm situated). I think I will contact them
though to hear what
they have to say about a money back guarantee. Unfortunately Hans they seem to
sell only within the
Nordic countries, but I guess I could ask if they could make an exception and
ship a 4.0X converter
to Amsterdam...  ;-)

> Btw 1, I have a Hama catalogue and it lists a HR4x video converter, and even a
> HR5x and HR12x converter, but all have an M46 thread; I would expect this
> would
> result in serious light fall-off. Especially when I look at their pictures;
> the
> front element aren't that much wider. Hmmm. 12x... 2160mm...

Yes, the diameter of the front element of the 4.0x would be of interest. What's
the diameter of the
B-300 1.7X? Check... check...  Well, it's 80 mm. Good to have as a comparison
figure. I imagine also
weight and optical construction would be of interest. Such info would give some
indication of the
quality I think.

> Btw 2, I found another manufacturer of HQ teleconverters (a growing market
> with
> all these digicams): Raynox. I'm not sure if these are imported in Europe.
>

> hnz

I think Raynox makes a set of wide and tele converters for the C-20xx and
C-30xx series of Oly
digitals. Quality is fairly good I think. Probably not sold here though like
you say Hans.

Regards,

Per Nordenberg
Zoo keeper at Kolmården