Re: [OM] OM2SP shutter speed ring problems

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2SP shutter speed ring problems
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:24:36 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Wolfgang Paster wrote:

> Recently I´ve had problems with the shutter speed ring of my OM2SP. It´s
> VERY hard to move (gets almost stuck from time to time). I´ve experienced
> this before with a OM2n. Is it possible to fix it on myself? What dangers
> lurk if I remove the lens mount (three screws on the mount...), are there
> many tiny parts jumping around and getting lost? Is it possible to clean
> and/or lubricate the stuck mechanics from there?

Not many parts to lose, just a ball bearing on a spring.  The problem is
probably going to be burring on the edges of the detent slots, which can
be removed with a needle file.  Putting the thing back together can be
unexpectedly tricky, though.

Firstly, you have to make sure you put the shutter speed ring back in
exactly the right position wrt to the little gear wheel which it drives
(otherwise shutter speed indication will be wrong).  Secondly, beware of
the little widget that allows access to the red speeds - it's possible
to trap that so that you can't turn the ring at all.

Regards

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
| |   | |   | |             http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/~cpian/          |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |