Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters

Subject: Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters for iS?]
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:21:17 +0100
: For some reason I'm not fully convinced he knows what he's talking about...
: Aren't the iS/L converters also a kind of video converters? What's the big
difference then between
: them and every other kind of frontmounted converters??

The only difference is that they are intended for video cameras and thus have
the small 46mm thread. Optically there is no difference. And within certain
limits video converters can also be used on photo lenses.

I have a Tokina 1.4x video tele converter which can be used with a 46->49mm
step-up ring on the Zuiko 80/2 or Zuiko 100/2.8, and with an additional 55->49
step-down ring even on the Zuiko 135/2.8. There is no vignetting visible in the
viewfinder and image quality seems ok. But on the 200mm/F4 and 200mm/F5
vignetting is clearly visible. And yes, on the iS-3000 too. It is not the same
kind of vignetting as you would get by using a too narrow hood (a tunnel
effect), but just that the corners are darker as the centre.

So I think the question with respect to the iS-3000 is if there are any
manufacturers that make front-mounted converters with 55mm threads (or larger),
in the 3x~4x range.

Hmmm... the E-10 has a 62mm thread. Perfect! So all we need is to buy that fancy
new Olympus A3x converter, and a 55mm->62mm step-up ring, to get our 540mm/F5.6
lens! Great! Quanta costa? Hmm. Do I really want to know? :/

hnz