Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters

Subject: Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters for iS?]
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:57:33 +0100
: The E-10 has a very small CCD when compared to 35mm film, you won't be able
: to use the 3X converter for the E-10, it only has 49mm front lens diameter.

It has a 62mm rear thread and a 49mm front diameter? Oh well, here goes another
fine idea down the drain...

: For 35mm you can refer to the rule - focal length/aperture must be smaller
: than or equal to the front lens diameter, otherwise vignetting will occur.

I see your point. The 3x converter I would want for the iS-3000 would need a
100mm front element, and become too huge and heavy.

: Don't expect any magic with front converter, seeing through the viewfinder
: does not give you accurate result.

Well the differences between the medium telephotos and the 180/200mm lenses
could easily be observed when I aimed it at a white object. On slide film the
results would w/o any doubt have been unacceptable.

: I have a IS3000 1.7X converter, unfortunate with the large front element it
: still cause vignetting on the picture (but you can't see the vignetting in
: the finder).

It does? I've never noticed it; but I'm not sure if I've ever used the
combination with slide film on critical subjects with an even, bright
background.

hnz