Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't produce a digital body

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't produce a digital body
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:20:08 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "drchrisbarrett" <drchrisbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> My points are:
>

> "I'm not sure about your statement "small rear element a long way from
> CCD"
> is need to reduce the angle is true or not, I just know Olympus claim
> they
> design the E-10's lens with light perpendicular to the CCD. They have a
> rear
> element larger than the CCD NOT smaller, sorry!"
>
> Exactlty !
>
> So their argument about 35mm format wide angle lenses is not correct.

I think you need to have a look on the following before given any further
comment:

http://www.olympus-innovation.com/e-10/e10frameset.html

check the lower right-hand corner "E-10 All in one lens story"

The normal lens has smaller rear element, the light beam is divergent -
cause problem.

The digital lens has larger than CCD diameter rear concave element that give
perpendicular beam - right design.

NOT as you said it need a small rear element and far away from the CCD to
provide close to parallel beam - WRONG, not practical !

I'm not sure about how much the divergent beam of a normal lens will affect
the CCD performance but I don't think Olympus repeatedly saying such is
wrong. Otherwise all other digital camera manufacturer will point it out and
laugh at Olympus!

I hope it is more clear now!

C.H.Ling