[OM] Score one for the Stylus Epic

Subject: [OM] Score one for the Stylus Epic
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 08:21:59 -0500
The other day I wrote:
"<snip> I had been trying to clean out the clogged storm drain in front
of my house (6" of rain from the latest nor'easter) when the Sylus Epic
I bought from Gary Reese recently fell out of my jacket pocket into the
mini whirlpool of the storm drain.  I retrieved it in about 3 seconds
and was amazed that only a few drops of water seem to have penetrated
the front lens cover and back and none to the battery compartment. To be
on the safe side I'll let it dry for a few days before popping the
battery back in.  Wish me luck."
-----------------------------------

I forgot to add that, even though I retrieved the camera from under the
water within several seconds, it was actually several more minutes
before I got the camera inside and could start the drying off process.
I dried off the exterior with a paper towel, removed the battery and
then opened the lens cover and back and dabbed up the 3-4 drops on the
lens and two drops at the edge of the film chamber (which, I suspect,
may only have gotten there when I opened the back).  I then set the
camera on top of a warm radiator for the past 48 hours in case there was
any unseen moisture inside.

Well, this morning I replaced the battery (and same roll of unexposed
film) and am happy to report that the camera appears absolutely fine!
All functions of the camera appear fully operative!  I'll probably never
know for sure but suspect that no water ever actually got inside the
main body case.  Anyhow, I have come to really like this diminutive
little pocket camera much more than the 2 other zoom (70 & 115) versions
I also own.  I'm glad it is well.

It really is a great little camera but... if you need to do flash you'd
be well advised to take your OM's and a T-32 on a BG-2... had to have
some OM content.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA