Re: [OM] Help on M.15V upgrade

Subject: Re: [OM] Help on M.15V upgrade
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:53:34 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Tom Scales wrote:

> OK, I'm stuck.  I have the thing disassembled just fine and went to take
> apart the NiMH.  I expected to find something like rectangular button
> cells -- meaning cells encased in metal.
>
> Instead, I found one big plastic 'outer container' with 7 individual, very
> messy, cells inside.  It looks like they just put them all together in the
> bigger case.
>
> Is this right?  Should they be these wierd cells that leak what I expect is
> toxic chemicals all over my hands?  I couldn't find the recommended Vartas
> locally, so these are just noname NiMH.  I suspect that is the problem.

The cells in the Varta 9V battery are individual cells which are spot welded
together using a U shaped piece of metal.  They can be taken apart very
easily by breaking the spot weld. What you have sounds very different.

> Also, I noticed in the FAQ that some people use NiMH and some use NiCad.  I
> understand that the NiCads will do sustained bursts better and that the NiMH
> doesn't have the memory effect.  Other than that, what is the advantage of
> one over the other.

I've rebuilt several of my packs with NiMH cells and I'll never use them again.
The performance of NiMH when used with an MD2 is terrible, especially if you
plan to use the rewind feature.  They're ok if you limit yourself to 1 or 2
sequential frames, but if you're going to do that, why not use a winder.
I'd recommend finding the original 1/3 AA size NiCd cells and rebuild using
that.
                                        -mark