Re: [OM]50mm: Which one to keep?

Subject: Re: [OM]50mm: Which one to keep?
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:06:45 -0500
John wrote:

> My conclusion is the "break point" in how much of the 50/1.4 lens is
> multi-coated is not at S/N 1,100k, but some point earlier than that.

I agree.  I had one in the 890,000 range with only one element that
looked MC.  Another was in the 1,070,000 rangewith multiple MC
reflections and was indistinguishable from a third that was above
1,115,000.  If you have one in this range, it's not hard to tell.  With
the early MC variant, you'll have to really hunt for that one green
surface, which is several layers deep.  With the final MC lens, the
green reflections will pop out immediately.

When I had both MC lenses in hand, I thought about photographing each,
lit with a frosted light bulb at a fixed distance and offset.

Morgan Sparks