Re: [OM] 90mm f/2 Paired comparison: Zuiko Macro vs. Leitz Summicron-R

Subject: Re: [OM] 90mm f/2 Paired comparison: Zuiko Macro vs. Leitz Summicron-R 3-cam
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:12:19 -0800
At 2:13 PM -0500 3/24/01, ll.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
In <l03130308b6e200cec65e@[203.62.227.131]>, on 03/24/01 at 06:48 PM,
   Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

 Now stop making me nervous- I just bought a Leitz
90/4 Elmar-C for my Leica CL and you're upsetting all three of us!
Andrew

If you can locate the Mod Photo review of the 40mm and 90mm lenses for
the Leica CL when they first appeared, it will sooth your ruffled
feathers. I don't think my memory fails me in recalling that the review
said that these were among the sharpest lenses they'd ever tested. A
friend of mine who got this kit when it first appeared projected some
slides he had made on Kodachrome shortly thereafter. They took my breath
away; the images fairly leapt off the screen.

les clark / edgewater, nj / usa

However, the CL rangefinder base was significantly shorter than an M series Leica, putting the 90 mm was at the very limit of accurate focus range. It is the whole camera system that makes the difference. Though it has a very nice 90mm, focussing on the CL for that lens is much less accurate than a 90mm on an M camera. The CL rangefinder also used little mirrors instead of prisms.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA