Re: [OM] 50mm: Which one to keep?

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm: Which one to keep?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 18:52:25 +0000
At 17:43 3/24/01, Alan wondered:
I'm confused -- you have all three lenses - why not take a few pictures and
decide for yourself which to keep...

There is more to resolution when picking a good lens. There is colour, ability
to blur (some call bokeh), size, weight and emotional response if the lens
shatters.

I'm more guilty of most of asking these sort of questions -- but it is a
little harder when you don't own the lens (yet). Once ya got em....

[You should test em; write a report and submit it to the list when done !]

I have tested them, but not using any special test design such as Gary Reese's. Similar shots taken of the same scenes with each lens. The two fully multi-coated ones are "better" than the older MC, but even that one is a good lens. [Criteria: resolution, contrast, flare control, even performance across aperture range, and at least decent bokeh.]

I should confess I also have a 50/1.2 and it's "better" than any of the 50/1.4's. It's a "body cap" for the OM-4, and the two newer 50/1.4's are on the OM-2S and OM-1n. The third 50/1.4 is kept in a safe place as a "spare" in the event something horrid happens to any of the other three 50's . . . which would precipitate a major emotional event, especially with the 50/1.2.

I keep a standard lens on each body to prevent fumbling to get a lens on any of them when I want to use one in a hurry. I guess they're not purely "body caps." They do get used quite a bit.

-- John