Re: [OM] OK, battery theory time......[OT] unless you want to talk about

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, battery theory time......[OT] unless you want to talk about NiCads
From: Frank van Lindert <frank.van.lindert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:34:06 +0200
Tom, and others inbterested.

I have replaced cells in NiCads several times, with both NiMH and
NiCad cells.
The best result I have ever had was four years ago with NiCad cells,
brand Sanyo, type High Capacity Cadnica (E-series). The Sanyo
catalogue I am quoting from is from 1996, so I don't know if these
cells are still available... the Sanyo website does mention the series
but not the model or size I used (see below).

The ones I used were model N-225AE, which means that the capacity is
225 mAh. This is double of the 1/3AA cells, but of course these cells
are bigger: 17.0mm diameter and 17.0 diameter in height. 12 of these
cells fitted exactly into the battery pack housing, but it took great
care to assemble straight-in-line packs, otherwise they wouldn't fit.
Matrix of the pack was just like with the original Olympus NiCad
pack., if I remember well.
Sanyo did also the N-200A model in the General-use Cadnica series
(Standard series). Equal size, but smaller capacity of 200mAh.

The cells mentioned above are also considerably heavier than the 1/3AA
ones, about 50 grams for 12 cells together. The weight but more
important the size of these cells made me switch to the 120 and later
150mAh NiMH packs from Varta. These cells are much smaller and lighter
than the original Olympus ones.
But performance is slightly inferior than that of NiCads, probably
because the internal resistance is higher, which limits the current
they can deliver especially in continuous (sequence) mode.
In particular with the MD-2 this may give problems in critical
conditions (low temperatures, fast sequence needed etcetera). For my
own use they have never failed - but I must add that I never do
sequence shooting, only 'single frame' and never more than 5 or 6
rolls in one shoot.

I remember that the N-225AE cells were expensive, especially because
of the tabs needed which had to be spotwelded on my request. I think
the price was triple that of the Varta NiMH's. Maybe we can find a
supplier who still has 17.0 x 17.0 mm cells with tabs, who will be
cheaper, combined ordering might also help.
I cannot find them any longer here in Holland. If you could in the US,
I would be happy to order about 40 cells as well.
And who knows, perhaps Sanyo or another manufacturer has 17.0 x 17.0
cells in NiMH available now. I guess that it is not the kind of metal
used in the cells which limits the current, but the way the cells are
built and the size (capacity) of them.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.