[OM] Stylus Epic/mju2

Subject: [OM] Stylus Epic/mju2
From: "Bernd Moeller" <dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 17:51:18 +0200
Hi,

I have owned a Stylus (mju1 in Europe) for about eight years. Last year it
died: self-timer out of order, general overexposures, and a leaking back.
With the need to have a compact, fast and easy to use camera for all kinds of
occasions where OM's are too bulky and slow, I bought a Stylus Epic
(consequently named mju 2 over here). I also considered the Yashica 5 with
Zeiss lens, and some other comparable non-zoom compacts. They were all to
costly, large or clumsy for me.
Although I was afraid that the mju 2 some day will suffer the same fate than my
mju 1, it's price convinced me. After all, I have almost abused the mju 1
during the time I had it. And I would not like to abuse any of my other cameras.
On a rock concert with Frank Black in Copenhagen some weeks ago, I took the mju
2 with me, knowing that cameras were not very welcome there. I kept it in my
trousers pocket, knowing that no guard will touch me in this private zone. It
worked well. I loaded Fuji Superia 800, shut off the flash and spotmetered on
Frank Black's (voluminous) face. Even though the lens is 35mm, I got some nice
shots while I was standing right in front of him.
Some critical comments: Each time you shut off the camera with the slider lid,
all the settings are forgotten. The mju 2 seems to prefer fast shutter speed
before depth of field. And fill-in flash is not very trusty.

Otherwise it's a great camera with a very bright and sharp lens. I very much
like the spotmeter and the weather proofness.

Regards

Bernd