[OM] Type size & Liverpool

Subject: [OM] Type size & Liverpool
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:14:46 +0100
Dear all

I have just managed to sort out (at last) the display in my email programme when those of you with the dreaded AOL send messages to the List: it's called "Ignore Font" in the "Styled Text" settings of Eudora. I can now read all messages easily!

Back to OM stuff: I have just visited Liverpool to see my eldest son who is at university there. The place is great! It is like a small town, although there are some grotty bits, whose young inhabitants have a party every night.

I took my newly-acquired 35-105 along and took some shots of the wonderful Metropolitan Cathedral (Roman Catholic). I had heard bad things about this building, completed in 1967, but it is truly beautiful, both inside and out. You can see a photo at http://www.liverpoolcollege.co.uk/Mosaic/rc.htm .

The other cathedral in Liverpool is the Anglican one, also built in the 20th century, but along more traditional lines. It is the largest in the UK, and one of the largest in the world. Its scale is stupendous and the peal of its bells sounds like nothing I have ever heard before. It sounds as if the bells are tubular, and there is a constant low harmonic while they are pealing. The overall effect of enormous church (massive would describe it more accurately) and its wide range of bell tones with the harmonics giving a rhythmic drone (similar to the drones on bagpipes) made the experience of visiting this place quite surreal. There is a phot at http://www.merseyworld.com/cathedral/ , but I recommend a visit if anyone is in the area (:>)). I took some shots of this, inside and out, with my XA.

Chris
--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker