Re: [OM] Data backs problem

Subject: Re: [OM] Data backs problem
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:18:42 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Mr. Chris Lee wrote:

> Recordata back 2 has 4 dials to set data, 1 dial for ASA setting or
> off. Necessary to remove shoe 4 from camera for FP sync thus difficult
> to use back 2 with flash, t32 or t10 ring or x sync use manual
> settings of 1/60th or less but incurring possible electrical overload
> on camera if both shoe and sync cord are simultaneously used.

There's no need to remove the shoe to use the recordata back.  You can plug
the recordata back into the FP contact while continuing to use the shoe
for the flash.

> Also, the "picture" available to me are not large enough or clear
> enough to determine what characters are available on each of the four
> dials.

Recordata back 1: 0-36  75-84,1-12,A,M
Recordata back 2: 0-36  0-36  79-98,1-15  0-9,A-Z

> As I understand, none of the backs (2, 3, or4) will record/imprint
> year 2000 and beyond but I could devise a numbering scheme to
> "serialize" negatives with back 2. But back 2 leaves me with the
> problem of using flash with it.

You could use the 1-12 range of the recordata back 1/2 year dial to represent
2001-2012.  Recordata base 3/4 will go to 2009.

> If back 4 (internal connectors) is used, do you know if flash can be
> usedwithout "overloading" the camera and could you tell me what date
> formats are available. mm/dd/yy, dd/mm/yy, etc, and presumbly  dd = 1
> thru 31 mm=1 thru 12 but I don't know what range is availabe in yy
> (year) if there is a range of "years" compatible with
> dd or mm could the date format be construed as yy/dd/mm or some other
> combination of dd/mm/yy.

There's no overloading to worry about, all the recordata backs can be used
with flash units.  I suggest looking at the eSIF for the other information
you're looking for:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/veluwen/om-sif/phototechnicalgroup/recordata_back_4.htm
                                -mark