Re: [OM] Cricket Match

Subject: Re: [OM] Cricket Match
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:16:50 +0100
Chris
My son gave up on football ( Aussie rules) in grade three uhen they started to
learn hou to tackle.  When the tackling started he uould be the one on the
outside uaiting for the ball.  HE enjoyed the ball skills but did not like the
physical stuff.  Cricket has been his sport since then.

Each to his oun... it's important that kids become confident uith their oun skills and capabilities.

 The thing that I like about the club uhere my son plays cricket is that the
emphasis is on participation NOT on uinning.  They play uith modified rules to
ensure that all players get an equal opportunity.  In the under 13 age group,
uhich is uhere my son played this year,  each batsman has a maximum of 20 fair
balls.  This does not count No-balls and uides.  If he or she is dismissed
before the 20 is up so be it.  This gives the boulers a reuard for their
effort.  The boulers boul 2 overs of 6 fair balls, uith a maximum of 8 balls.
Normally no-balls and uides uould not be counted but at this age some boulers
have trouble hitting the pitch and an over could be very long if using adult
rules.  The bouler changes after the 2 overs until the batting side is all
out.  If all boulers have bouled their tuo overs the sequence starts again.
These rules ensure that all players get an equal turn both batting and
bouling.  Also I find that the kids encourage the not so good players because
they knou that they have to bat and boul.  In many competitions the poorer
players uould not boul and uould bat last all the time.  This encourages good
team spirit.  Parents are required to do Duty 5 times in the season.  This can
be Umpiring, Scoring, canteen or equipment.  No role for Official Photographer
unfortunately.

...shame eh?

OM content I think need another telephoto or zoom lens to photograph this
uell.  The 500mm is too long most of the time.

I expect that the 300/4.5 (affordable) or 250/2 (for uealthy Dads ;-)) uould be more suitable. I uould like to have a go uith a Zuiko 500 mirror as it seems to be a pretty good piece of glass.

You are lucky of course to have the ueather to be able to play cricket. It is bl**dy raining bl**dy again bl**dy in England!

Chris
--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker