[OM] Paired comparison: 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit vs. 28mm f/2.8 Zuiko

Subject: [OM] Paired comparison: 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit vs. 28mm f/2.8 Zuiko
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:21:24 -0800
The paired comparison of a 90mm f/2 Summicron-R to the 90mm f/2 Zuiko
Macro seemed to interest a few folks. So I though I'd try one more. Here
is a 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R vs. a 28mm f/2.8 Zuiko. The Zuiko out resolves
the Elmarit at most apertures, but the Leitz beats the Zuiko on having
higher image contrast. I rarely see such striking differences between
these two characteristics.  It is much like the late 1970s-early 80s
Contax vs. Leica wars in which Carl Zeiss & company favored resolution
and Leitz favored contrast.

Like all paired comparisons, I viewed a matching aperture slide from one
lens immediately after the other lens, so any differences in SQF grades
are significant. As with the Summicron, I modified the methodology by
also looking at the slides under 100x magnification, to get an idea of
resolution on a standard Bureau of Standards resolution test target.
That gave me the ability to split hairs which wouldn't otherwise show up
on a projected image.  But it was hard to pick a better image.  The warm
Elmarit picks up more subtle changes in hue.  The cool Zuiko cuts a
detailed image, but with a harshness not unlike many Nikkors.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV

*****************
28mm f/2.8 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-4T with mirror and diaphragm prefire
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2.8     B-        C
f/4       B+        B-
f/5.6     A-        A-
f/8       A-        A-
f/11      B+        B
f/16      B+        B+
f/22      B+        B
Notes: Paired comparison to the 28mm f/2.8 Leitz Elmarit-R 3 cam test,
with differences in SQF grades significant at the 1/3 grade level.
Moderate contrast images in center and low in corners at f/2.8; moderate
contrast images and moderately low in corners at f/4; moderately high
contrast images and moderate in corners at f/5.6 through f/8; moderately
high contrast images at f/11, f/16 and f/22. Contrast determinations
provisional for f/16 and f/22 due to slight overexposure. 9 (KEH=Ex)
condition sample with moderately heavy use.

Leitz 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-R (1980 3-cam)
Leicaflex with mirror and diaphragm prefire
Vignetting = C+ @ f/2.8, B @ f/4, B+ @ f/5.6, A- @ f/8, A thereafter
Distortion = moderate waveforming with no tendency
Aperture  Center    Corner
f/2.8     C+        C+
f/4       B-        B-
f/5.6     B         A-
f/8       B+        B+
f/11      B+        B+
f/16      B         B
f/22      B         B
Notes: Paired comparison to a 28mm f/2.8 Zuiko test on a OM-4T, with SQF
grade differences significant to the 1/3 grade level. Moderately high
contrast images in center and moderate in corner at f/2.8; moderately
high contrast images at f/4; high contrast images at f/5.6; very high
contrast images at f/8, f/11 and f/16. 8 (KEH=BGN) condition due to
light cleaning marks on front element.