Re: [OM] Lens test loan request

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens test loan request
From: "W. J. Liles" <wliles@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:46:40 -0600
Rand E wrote:

> Gary, et all...
>   It would seem to me that having any element of a photographic film
> camera (lens or any other part, for that matter) would seem to be
> counter productive.  Seeing as how almost all radioactivity has that
> tendency to fog film.  Some alpha and beta emitters lack the power and
> penetration to do a whole lot but under the right conditions, they too
> will fog film.  The most common use of this is, of course, the common
> X-ray that we use for the detection of broken bones etc.
> Using my Navy Nuc training,
> Rand E.

If the radioactive element is a Beta (electron) emiter and the lense
with the radioactive doping is the front element then none of the
radiation will reach the film.  Just the lense coating would stop a lot
of the Beta particles (basically a helium nucleus) and only the
radioactive atoms at the very surface of the lense would be able to emit
radiation to the air.  The same would hold for Alpha emiters.  Gamma,
however, is another kettle of cod.  Gamma rays are photons like x-rays
and will penetrate deeply.  I very much doubt any lense would be doped
with a Gamma emiter element.

Jerry Liles