Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:45:40 +0100
All right, hold on tight. Old English IS Anglo Saxon - usually Wessex
dialect because that was the dominant form. It is very similar to Middle
High German I believe and incomprehensible to us now. I had to learn some

Andrew F is right...
unfortunately (because I opened my mouth/email and said it wasn't!).

I have a book by H C Wyld "A Short History of English" which I have only just gone and checked; if only I had opened it at Chapter II where it says: "ENGLISH was introduced into these islands in the fifth century by Germanic (aaargh, jnm was right as well!) tribes who came, in the first instance, under colour (see he got the spelling right :-)) of helping Vortigern, the British king, against the Picts. ... the Jutes, who were the first comers, sent for their kinsmen, who, coming in large numbers, murdered and pillaged their way ..."

Sorry James, for doubting your clearly superior knowledge. Thanks Andrew (b**tard :-)) for confirming that OE is in fact German.

I am going to do what I do best now, sitting in a corner with knitting needles up each nostril saying "Wibble".

Chris
--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker