Re: [OM] OM-2S Advertisement

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S Advertisement
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:12:58 EST
In a message dated 3/30/01 12:23:43 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jeremyzobel@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I am looking to buy an OM-2S or OM-4(t) ad. Ebay has failed to produce any
>  good ad's with nice pictures. I know they're tough to come by lately but I
>  thought I would give the mailing list a try. Please e-mail me with any
>  suggestions.
>  Thanks,
>  Jeremy

You're looking to buy an AD?  Or a camera?  If a camera,....

Since getting myself a nice OM-2S from E-B-a-y back in November, and another
for the brother-in-law at Christmas, I've watched several auctions for them
come and go.  Some with GREAT photos from all angles, some with blurry pics,
some with none.  Keep watching.  And when you see one that piques your
interest, look carefully for missing caps (PC socket, motor drive bay, etc.).
 If the pics don't show them all, e-mail the seller and ask lots of questions
("Is the viewfinder clear?" "Any foam rot?" "Do all three modes work?",
etc.).  If he doesn't provide satisfactory answers to ALL your questions,
that to me is a clue to stay away from that auction.

Generally, it seems the more honest sellers mention such things as slight
brassing at the carry strap rings, if the camera appears otherwise to be in
excellent condition.  My brother-in-law's camera came with a broken film
advance, which was disclosed in the ad, so I knew I was in for a repair
there.  Mine came with a broken viewfinder which was NOT disclosed in the ad.
 It was otherwise so nice that I decided to keep it and get it fixed.  I
managed to get it repaired ($60) and the seller re-imbursed me, but I think I
was lucky.  That seller seems to have disappeared from E-B-a-y after many
comments about his practices.

If you get merchandise that is not as advertised, you can USUALLY send it
back demanding your money back, or work out repairs/refunds with the seller.
READ the ads CAREFULLY.  "As is" is a flag to me.  My feeling is, once I get
up into the $50 plus range, it better be as advertised, or I'm NOT gonna be a
happy buyer.  I suppose that $ range varies from person to person.  My money
comes hard.  I don't appreciate being ripped off.  But with a couple of
exceptions, all my E-B-a-y deals have been most satisfactory.

About $175 - $225 is a good price range for a decent OM-2S.  Tom Scales and
others may have a little more accurate range of figures.

Dunno about price ranges for the OM-4T.  I'm not quite ready to shop for one
yet.  $450 - $550?  List members?

Good luck in your search!  If you're looking for an AD, disregard all of the
above.... sorry.

Rich