Re: [OM] Texas wildflower photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Texas wildflower photos
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 22:25:19 -0800
At 11:10 PM -0600 3/30/01, dtlocke wrote:
OM list: Here's some pix taken with my OM-2n. These are my 1st real attempts at flower work. This is a mismash of 2 emails I sent to friends, but you should be able to get the idea... Not mentioned was the fact that I scanned these slides/negs with my Minolta Dimage Scan Dual scanner & processed in photoshop. Hope you enjoy, and thanks to those on this list who've helped me with equipment suggestions. I ended up with both an Ultrapod II and a Bogen 3401 tripod (does both vertical & horizontal center column) with a 3275 junior geared head. Both setups have proven themselves to be a great asset to flower/macro work.
----
This I took at Ft. McKavett as the last rays of sunshine caught it. It appears to be a Stemless Evening Primrose! (87k, 800x671 pixels)

http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/photos/3-25-flow-crop5.jpg

p.s. For the photo geeks, this was a 1 second exposure using a cable release, Olympus OM-2n camera on manual, Vivitar 90 macro, Kodak Royal Gold 100 print film. The f-stop was around 11 or 16 for max depth of field with available light. I set it up & focused while laying on my stomach, using my tiny "Ultrapod II" tripod to balance the very heavy lens.

 ===

 On the way over to Austin for an interview I stopped and
 shot some wildflower pictures.

 This one features a grasshopper:
 > http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/photos/3-2hop-crop.jpg

 Here's a close-up of a Bluebonnet:
 > http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/photos/3-25-flow-crop2detail.jpg

The red wildflowers (anyone know what kind this is? Update: Texas Paintbrush or Indian Paintbrush) were
 very nice:
 > http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/photos/3-25-flow-crop3.jpg

 And here's a close-up, large, shot of one of the red
 flowers:
 > http://www.flex.net/users/dtlocke/photos/3-25-flow-crop0.jpg

 Details:  Fuji Sensia 100 speed slide film, Vivitar 90mm
 macro lens on my Olympus OM-2n camera, manual exposures.
 Conditions were great, no direct sunlight (which would cause
 too much contrast and wipe out detail...).  Little wind.  There were high,
thin clouds that passed a lot of light. No filters were used, it would have been interesting to try some polarization...

 Hope you enjoy,

 > -Dick

Wow.  Those are knock out shots.

Winsor