Re: [OM] Prices on OM equipment (So it's NOT off-topic!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Prices on OM equipment (So it's NOT off-topic!)
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 08:37:43 -0600
On 1 Apr 2001, at 9:09, Jim Sharp wrote:

> I think we have driven prices up to some degree, how much is anyone's
> guess though. I bet the price of certain items in particular have gone up,
> for example the late 50mm f/1.4 MC vs. the earlier versions as a case in
> point.

I just think we're imparting way too much power and influence to
ourselves if we think we have that much impact.

It's a big world out there, with all those camera stores, pawn shops,
auction sites, and other places to stalk gear.  We're a tiny little band in
the overall scheme of things, and only a small percentage of that tiny
little band actually do much buying and selling.

Does supply and demand effect prices?  Definately.  Do we, or to be
more precise do the few of us who do "horse trade" in this stuff, really
have that big an influence on overall prices?  I doubt it.

> At the same time, because of information from this list, I'm a *much*
> better shopper than I was a few months ago! I also have a much better
> idea of what works where and how than I did before. For me, with a
> limited budget for OM gear, this is invaluable. It's kept stupid buying
> decisions to a minimum.

My point exactly, and I really *do* appreciate all the learning and
assistance I gained from this list...  and many of its members!

I merely submit that it isn't education and informed buyers that drive
prices up....  it's supply and demand.  Yes, we may be a tiny blip in that
equation, both on the supply side and the damand side, but that's 'bout
all IMHO.

> Since I joined this list, I've tried to follow most of the price on a
> given item, performance of a given item threads. Listening to list
> members recommendations, I've yet to buy something that I've been
> disappointed with. I know too that the items I've  purchased have been
> worth what I paid for them more or less.

One for informed and happy consumer...  congratulations!

> I hope people keep posting their opinions of equipment value. The delete
> key is always available for those who are uninterested...
>
> Just my $.02 ( $.0125 after taxes  )

If the list has that much influence on OM prices, maybe we *should*
talk 'bout politics more?  That way, my taxes will drop and there'll be
less corruption in government!  :-)

Regards,

Chris

---