Flower Power - Was [OM] Zuiko 40/2 Values

Subject: Flower Power - Was [OM] Zuiko 40/2 Values
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 23:19:32 -0400
Back on the 40/2 again, eh? (One of my favorite subjects...)

I just got back from a photography outing to Logwood Gardens in Kennett
Square, PA. The mission was to air out the family and the OM gear in
preparation for spring. Given the many "indoor" flowers, I though it would
give me a chance to brush up on my macro skills. So out came the 90/2 and
the 40/2 and off we went.

For those who have not tried it, the 40/2 is a special lens. For me it's one
of those "just right" lenses that always makes the bag. Knowing that it
already has a very close focus, I wanted to try it with the new extension
tubes that conveniently were waiting for me when I got home Friday night
(love it when things work out that way). With this combination, you can get
up close and personal with your subject. Using the 7mm and 14mm together
essentially made the lens useless for anything but very close macro, but it
was fun to work with. I can't wait to get the film back, but my preliminary
observations showed that the depth of field is much shallower than the 90/2.

All in all it was a fun way to get out and take pictures. For those who are
interested, Longwood gardens was formally a DuPont family estate and
absolutely magnificent. Well worth the trip and highly recommended. The URL
is: http://www.longwoodgardens.org . So what are you waiting for - get out
there and take some pictures!!!

Mike V.