[OM] 1/2000 on OM [Was: "two OM questions"]

Subject: [OM] 1/2000 on OM [Was: "two OM questions"]
From: Eric Pederson <epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 15:50:29 -0700 (PDT)
To my surprise, my OM4Ti did reach 1/2000 (not that I ever use that speed)
on the testing device I was using. But oddly, the speed slowed
appreciably over multiple shutter releases at that speed. The first measure
immediately followed 3 measures of 1/1000 (which were at +1/3 to +1).

OM4Ti
Indicated  Optimal  1st measure 2nd     3rd     4th     Mean    Stop error

2000       0.0005   0.00051     0.00051 0.00154 0.00191 0.0011175       0 to +2

The person I borrowed the shutter tester from (which measured fairly
consistently and perhaps accurately), was surprised by how accurate the various
shutter speeds were on the OM cameras I was testing.
All three bodies (OM1, 1n, 4T) were within 1/3 stop off on all speeds to 1/250,
which is impressive (especially for the mechanical cameras) since none of
the cameras have ever had any adjustments
(I've been using one since 1976). Speaks well for the line, but that's
preaching to the choir... :-)

I think the lesson is that you must bracket any exposure of 1/500 or faster
because of shutter speed variation (on any camera, I expect). Of course
you may well be using that speed to stop action which won't allow reshooting,
so you may just need to hope for the best.

What I want in a camera is a 2 second exposure setting.
Hard to do this accurately by hand...

> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:21:55 -0500
> From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: RE: [OM] two OM questions
>
> The OM4 and OM4T I have tested made it to about 1/1500 on the 1/2000
> setting. I wonder if any of the OMs really do hit 1/2000?

=====
Eric Pederson
epederso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (no "n" in "epederso")
Professional home page: