Re: [OM] focus - off

Subject: Re: [OM] focus - off
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 18:44:10 +0200
At 16:47 03.04.01 +0100, Ian A. Nichols wrote:

....Camera on tripod pointing at subject with vertical lines, back open,
focusing screen (I used one from a dead Pentax ME super because I happen
to have one, it's a bit smaller than Oly screens and less likely to
result in damage to one of my Oly screens if the cat knocks the whole
thing over) strapped gently across the film rails with rubber bands.

I want to add that the photographic emulsion is in fact at the back of the film, so it would be even more accurate to have pieces of film between the screen and the film rails. Probably not an issue with 35RC and other cameras with slower lenses, but it *could* be a significant error when close focusing with RD and SP wide open.

BTW, the same goes for knife edge focusing in astro photography, wich was mentioned here the other day: Always account for film thickness!

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn