Re: [OM] Kodak Portra 400 ISO C41 black and white

Subject: Re: [OM] Kodak Portra 400 ISO C41 black and white
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 12:21:08 -0700 (PDT)
I haven't tried the new Portra version yet (I almost
suspect that it is T400CN relabled), but I can comment
on the T400CN.

T400CN had an extremely wide latitude.  You can over
and under expose the film at will without any major
problems.  When shot at ISO 400 it seems to scan well,
but is rather thin and low contrast.  I personally
prefer to shoot it at ISO 200 which raises the
contrast of the film a bit, but means that it not only
scans noisier, but requires long exposure times in an
enlarger.

Another reason why I overexposed T400CN was that it
tended to be a bit sharper in the highlight layer than
the shadow layer.  If I remember, it has three color
layers--each full-spectrum color, but sensitive to
different light levels.  The high-light level layer
most likely is the top layer which ended up resolving
a bit better than shadow details.

I'm personally switching back to standard B&W films as
I cannot get deep, solid blacks under the enlarger,
and also the base is so dark that it requires a far
longer exposure when making a print too.

Otherwise, the lack of grain, high-key resolving power
and long exposure scale make this a good film.  In the
400 speed arena, there are no other B&W films that
give you "grain-free" results like this film.

Ken N.