Re: [OM] misfocusing and eye glasses

Subject: Re: [OM] misfocusing and eye glasses
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 21:05:38 -0700
Alan:

<< I'm confused -- even if the users eyes are bad -- doesn't the focus
point
through the viewfinder remain the same -- I thought them split screens
and
micro-collars were immune to bad eyes ? >>

Proper dioptric correction is critical to easy and fast focusing. A 2
series screen coupled with either the right dioptric correction in an
OM-4(T)(i) viewfinder, or the right correction lens on any body, makes a
wonderfully easy to focus camera.  I just had the chance to use a Leica
M3 and I'm glad my rangefinder stuff was stolen in 1971, forcing me to
the OM System. Our Olympus SLRs with their 96% (97%?) framing accurancy
and snappy viewfinder images makes the M3 rangefinder seem ancient,
wanting for framing accuracy and too distracting with all the extra
frames lines and out-of-frame line view.  (I recall that I loved using
an shoe mounted Bright Finder with those old Canon rangefinders
cameras). Once upon a time, Herbert Keepler wrote that Nikon and Olympus
manual focus lenses were about equal, but the focusing in a Nikon was
superior.  That was before all the improvements we now have in the OM
System viwfinder. Now, its hard to find anything that tops it among
SLRs.

I find it interesting to hear of folks who rationalize getting out of
manual focus systems because they can't see well enough to focus.  I
wonder how that situation could improve if they just utilized dioptric
correction?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV