RE: [OM] Adjusting Focus

Subject: RE: [OM] Adjusting Focus
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:42:20 -0500
If you are trying to reconcile the focus screen 'focus' with the film focus,
and the mirror angle is correct, then I believe spacers are used between the
focus screen and its bed.

If the mount to film guide distance is off, such that the distance read on
all your lenses is different than the actual distance to an object focused
upon, you have to use the spacers on the lens mount.

Neither seems to be a 'do it at home' quickie type of fix.

As for checking focus, I'm not convinced the 'focus screen on the film
guide' method will give proper results.

Best way is to take camera with fast lens, sit it upon a measuring stick (a
'yard stick' in the USA' with the 0 end at the film plane, and very
meticulously focus the lens at something like the 2 foot mark. You will see
that DOF is very shallow. Take your picture with aperture wide open. You can
study the resulting image and tell if your focus is  accurate, and if your
lens marks correspond properly.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx