Re: [OM] New member saying hello

Subject: Re: [OM] New member saying hello
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 21:07:37 -0700 (PDT)
Roger Wesson wrote:
Dear all,

Just joined this list, so I'll introduce myself: I'm Roger, I live in
London, I'm the proud owner of fully three OM-1s (through various happy
circumstances) which I've been using since 1997, and those with too
much
time on their hands might possibly be interested in looking at my
website:
http://www.worldtraveller.f9.co.uk/
on which I have an ever-growing number of photos.  Kind comments and
harsh slatings equally appreciated.

Right, I do have a question:  I want to buy a 500mm mirror lens,
primarily for taking photos of the sun and the moon, but inevitably for
daytime use as well.  I have found a Soligor one for 50 pounds, which
strikes me as a very agreeable price.  Just wondering if anyone might
have an opinion on whether this is actually a good deal, or has any
other suggestions.  I don't want to spend much more than 100 pounds.

And another thing: what the hell does 'bokeh' mean?

Roger,

Welcome to the list! I like the pictures in your website, especially
the landscapes. I can't help you with mirror lenses, having never tried
one.

Bokeh is originally a Japanese word that is used fairly widely to refer
to the quality of the out-of-focus parts of a photograph. There is
divided opinion as to its importance and, since most modern quality
lenses give good bokeh, it's not often much of an issue. However, when
a picture is taken using a lens with poor bokeh, it can spoil the
result. Bokeh seems to be more important in portraits, wildlife and
macro shots, where the deliberate use of wide apertures gives shallow
depth of field that renders the background out of focus. Whilst it is
not the main subject, a "scruffy" background can nevertheless detract
from the overall quality of the picture.

Regards,

=====
Ray