Re: [OM] need: NiCad charge times for T45 and 15V Control Packs

Subject: Re: [OM] need: NiCad charge times for T45 and 15V Control Packs
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 11:18:55 +0200
NiCad packs for MD (when using original Olympus batteries and charger)
4-5 hours recharge time. Do NOT try to charge faster, 4-5 hours is a
kind of fast charge already (normal charge would take 10-14 hours).
You could try to recondition a battery by repeated total discharging
and recharging. The only practical way to dicharge is using the motor
drive, I am afraid. Do not short the terminals!

NiCad packs for T-45 (original Olympus, 550 mAh) take 7-10 hours
recharging time. These batteries consist of 5 internal batteries of 4
AA cells each. One terminal is common, the others are not. Therefore
it is difficult to recondition the separate internal batteries, but it
can be done if you are careful

I have converted one of my chargers for use with my rebuilt battery
packs (1250 mAh NiMH's inside, which means more than double capacity).
I have removed the original very basic charging circuits and
substituted a modern intelligent NiMH fast charger taken from an
Ericsson phone desktop charger.
Drawback is, that I now have to charge the five internal batteries in
sequence: five Ericsson chargers would have been too expensive ;-).
I built a rotary switch into the charger for that purpose, rather than
trying to automate the process cycle. Each recharge takes slightly
less than 2 hours when the battery is empty. Total recharge 9 hours
(to be compared with about 20 hours with the poor original Olympus
circuits...). But because the batteries are almost never completely
empty, usually it takes only 5 hours to complete all five subsequent
recharges.
Big advantage is, that the charger switches itself off when a recharge
is completed. And I can also use it to dicharge, but with NiMH's this
is less of an issue, especially because the recharges are made with
state-of-art equipment.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.