Re: [OM] Another radioactive Zuiko!

Subject: Re: [OM] Another radioactive Zuiko!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:19:19 -0700
At 9:07 AM -0700 4/5/01, Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:
Hi all,

After Gary Reese emailed me with the results that my Zuiko 55/1.2 was radioactive, I decided to test an early (and pretty ugly) silver-nose Zuiko 50/1.4 I have which has a yellow appearance similar to the 55/1.2. It is also radioactive! Gary found that radioactivity was emitted from both the front and rear of the 55/1.2, while the 50/1.4 is strongly active from the front, but not as active from the rear. This suggests that a) the radioactivity is attenuated by the other elements, and b) the 55/1.2 has more than one rare-earth element, while the 50/1.4 only has one, probably the front element.

While I say "strongly radioactive," this isn't really that strong of a source. It's probably about as active as the old fiestaware pottery that had radioactive dyes in the glaze, or a luminous watch dial. I don't think that this is a large hazard, although I would think twice about carrying one around in my front pocket as a good luck piece ;)

[Obligatory uPay content] I don't know what uPay's policy on selling radioactive items is, but from their past history, I'd say that advertising an early Zuiko as radioactive might be a good way to get an auction cancelled :)

Many thanks to Gary for continuing to test Zuikos, and for discovering that the 55/1.2 was radioactive in the first place!

Mark Marr-Lyon

But does it glow in the dark? Inquiring minds want to know.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA