[OM] Is this stuff worth fixing?

Subject: [OM] Is this stuff worth fixing?
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:34:35 -0300
My father has 2 Olympus bodies and a couple of lenses for them. I'm
wondering if the items that need repair are even worth fixing.

First, the bodies are 2 OM-PC/40 bodies (one's a PC, one's a 40). I'm not
sure exactly what the problems with them are, but I believe they are both
mechanical problems, not problems with the electronics. Currently, it seems
like the average selling price for one of these bodies used on ebay is about
the same as what it would cost to fix one. Is this an accurate observation?
Or is that the price for one that will likely already have problems and need
repair?

The other item that needs repair is a Vivitar Series 1 28-80mm 2.8-3.5 macro
zoom. I gather that my father managed to shatter the front element of the
lens, so it needs replacement.

I haven't had a chance to inspect any of these items yet, so that would be
why the descriptions are fairly vague. But I thought I'd ask the list for
general opinions as to whether it's worth fixing this gear or not.

--

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx