Re: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.

Subject: Re: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:10:35 -0600
At 08:53 AM 4/6/2001 -0500, Tom Scales wrote:
>There is an obvious option that really needs to be considered.  This is an
>incredibly valuable resource that none of us wants to lose.
>
>The option?  A paid professional webhosting company.  I can't estimate the
>cost but would be willing to do the homework.  I, for one, would happily
>chip in for the cost.  Consider it a cost of being a part of this family.
>
>Heck, maybe we charge by the post -- of course, Chris O'Neill and I would be
>in trouble

At the moment, I'm loathe to consider this option.  Reality check: the eSIF is
in no danger of disappearing -- that's the whole reason I allowed Hans to
mirror it on my company's Web server, to take into account the possibility of
the primary being taken off-line.  Now that it *is* off-line, the mirror *is*
the primary, for all practical intents.

I doubt you'll get the kind of financial cooperation out of this List you need
in order to host commercially.  Truly active members on this List number
somewhere between thirty to fifty (rough personal estimate based on weekly
postings), and the rest lurk or near-lurk.  In economics, the problem of
financing a public resource (the eSIF) from a general population (the List + an
unknown number of others) is known as the "free rider problem."  Too many free
riders, no incentive to pony up the cash.

Which is why volunteers generally close certain gaps in public resource
availability.  ;-)

Garth