Re: [OM] Shutter Tapering

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter Tapering
From: Michael & Angela Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 17:30:34 -0700
p.j. wrote:
<snip>
Yes, I can move mine to the left and right, but there is time variation
in
every shot.  Therefore, I would think a person would have to shoot maybe
hundred shots in each location to gain significance. <snip>
I imagine some of the pro repairmen on the list could better answer the
question, though.<snip>

    I am not a pro either but I only spent $10 to 12 on the tester from
this site:

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2131/shspeed.html

I just built two of them in parallel wired to the mic jack of the sound
card in stereo.   The photo sensors are packaged in a simple plastic box
35mm apart.  With the box positioned properly in the film plane you can
directly measure the speed of the leading curtain and the trailing
curtain from the signals traced in to Cool Edit:

http://www.syntrillium.com/cooledit/index.html

by measuring the start and stop times from the left channel to the right
channel.
    I'm sure the $225 unit is nice, but to just keep tabs on my OM
investment or do a quick check on a potential purchase mine seems plenty
accurate.  This is due to the fact that the time standard is set by the
computer clock not by charging a capacitor or uncalibrated timer
mentioned by the Camlogics web site.  Although the camera shown on his
web site is an OM 1, he may be worthy of our support.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California