Re: [OM] Digital Range: what about...

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Range: what about...
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 19:36:44 -0500
Digital ICE is pretty cool, but not an absolute necessity.  I find I can get
my negs pretty clean with a good blast of air and the touch up is small.
When I bought my scanner it was a choice of 2700dpi with Digital ICE and
4000dpi without digital ICE (Polaroid Sprintscan 4000).  I went for the
resolution.  Now you can get the Nikon 4000 ED at 4000dpi with Digital ICE,
but I'm hearing mediocre rumblings about it.  Evidently it uses a fairly dim
light source, so the depth of field is shallow and any bowing in the neg is
a problem.  The SS4000 doesn't have that problem (although it has problems
of its own).

Course, those are expensive choices.

The Acer is a great scanner, especially if you get a refurb off
www.ubid.com, but there are other choices now.  I'm not current, but you'll
want to look at the Minolta and Canon offerings too.

Tom