Re: [OM] 24/2 lenshood

Subject: Re: [OM] 24/2 lenshood
From: Michael Kopp <mkopp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 17:28:41 +1200
Hello from the Antipodes from a recent lurker,

 The original Olympus hood is not magic for keeping stray
 light out, but it do have the magic words Olympus and 24/2.

No, the lens hood for the 24 mmm f/2 is useless. I threw mine away 27 years ago.

Question: what about the lens.

In fact, what about all of Oly's great lenses (the "pro" lenses, the ones that go beyond consumer specs?).

They're the reason (well, so was the OM1 body's lightweight and quiet shutter and mirror) I dumped my Nikons after 15 years of professional use, including a war.

For almost 20 years I've been out here in the wop-wops, only occasionally working as a professional photographer, but always using my Olys.

I still love them.

But I've lost track of Olympus's professional lines. (Not hard: they don't help, having gone for the consumer market and not even having a decent Web site for their pro products, AFAICT.)

Is this list a good place to discuss the current professional use of Olympus equipment? (I'm on the digest.)

I know there are some pros who use Oly, but they'd be in such an endangered minority that they'd be protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.

IRT the above lens, and the rest of the great lens line, the primary question is: have they been reformulated/redesigned in the 27 years since I bought mine?

What is the current pro lens line like, and how astronomical are the prices? (US$ will do; Kiwi money is like Monopoly money, but I'm an old Yank so I still understand the real thing.)

Cheers from Godzone,

Michael Kopp
Wellington, New Zealand