Re: [OM] Another radioactive Zuiko!

Subject: Re: [OM] Another radioactive Zuiko!
From: "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 10:53:34 +0100
>>can't speak as to what might happen if the film is left in the camera
>>for an extended period with the lens mounted

Just been thinking about this.  They're radioactive due to Rare Earth
Elements in the glass, am I right?  These elements emit alpha particles,
which do not travel very far or fast.  A few centimetres of air is plenty
enough to stop an alpha particle, so if the shutter's closed the film is
absolutely safe, and even if you were to leave it on B for a month, the air
between the lens and the film would absorb pretty much all the radiation.
The alpha particles are also not going to have any effect on the
photographer - unless you eat the lens, the particles can't get anywhere
where they can do any damage.

Of course, if you find that you're sprouting an extra thumb a few years down
the line, I'll stand entirely corrected.

Roger