Re: [OM] Another radioactive Zuiko!

Subject: Re: [OM] Another radioactive Zuiko!
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 05:51:29 -0700
Roger W. says:

<< Just been thinking about this.  They're radioactive due to Rare Earth
Elements in the glass, am I right?  These elements emit alpha particles,
which do not travel very far or fast.  A few centimetres of air is
plenty enough to stop an alpha particle, so if the shutter's closed the
film is absolutely safe, and even if you were to leave it on B for a
month, the air between the lens and the film would absorb pretty much
all the radiation.
The alpha particles are also not going to have any effect on the
photographer - unless you eat the lens, the particles can't get anywhere
where they can do any damage. >>

I think you missed my posting where I reported the radiation from the
55mm f/1.2 G.Zuiko silver snout is easily detected and quite high
THROUGH the mirror and partly aluminized shutter curtain. From
information in prior postings, one might conclude it is also emitting
gamma radiation.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV