Re: [OM] Digital Range

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Range
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 14:01:54 +0100
Winsor

I also have one of the Minolta scanners and I think the Minolta software
is hopeless, especially with slides. No shadow detail and blown out
highs...

I downloaded Vuescan from http://www.hamrick.com. It's far better than
the Minolta software, if a bit more difficult to use. I think you'll
find that with Vuescan the scanner is plenty good for web work or
anything you want to display on the screen.

--
Jim

Jim & Winsor

I too use Vuescan, but only for negatives. Its interface is really quite difficult at times (on the Mac at least), but it is worth it to get the correction that is built in for negs. It works well for slides as well, but IMO the Minolta import software works fine on slides. Note that Ed Hamrick is improving his software all the time - I was perhaps a little hasty in paying for it before I had worked out its shorcomings in the Mac, but I keep checking the website to see what the latest version is and I am being converted gradually.

According to the website in which I read about the Dimage Scan Dual (sorry forgotten the name), the scanner goes a little too green with negatives. There are ways of saving your settings, however.

Chris
--
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker