Re: [OM] Digital Range

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Range
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 12:56:09 -0300
On 4/7/01 8:43 AM, "Chris Barker" <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As others have pointed out, the display you are using, be it laptop
> or big monitor, will have a great effect on the finished article.
> For illustration, just try looking at some of the slides I scanned
> ages ago on the Unofficial Olympus Gallery (www.taiga.ca/~gallery/).
> They look dreadfully dark on the wrong monitor - I discovered when I
> used an Internet machine at work to find some suitable photos for a
> presentation.  But they looked great on my display, and Garth seemed
> happy with them when I sent them first...

A lot of this will depend on which operating system you're using.  Macs use
a gamma value of 1.8 for their display, while PCs are more around 2.2 to
2.5. This will make images that were prepared on a Mac appear much darker on
a PC monitor. Images prepared on a PC monitor will tend to appear a bit
washed out on the Mac. Currently, for my website, I adjust the gamma of my
images to 2.2. This doesn't make them too washed out on the Mac and
definitely makes them lighter on the PC (it will either exactly match the
gamma or be fairly close).

--

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx