Re: [OM] Aperture on Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture on Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:41:07 +0000
At 01:47 4/6/01, C.H. Ling wrote:
Talking about the old version 35-105, I had one before that had some
problem, the aperture does not close fast enough, if you stop down it
by hand it is okay, if you set the shutter speed at 1/30s or above the
aperture does not fully stop down during exposure. It was due to the
closing mechanism is linked with a spring not directly connected with
hard metal. Does your guy found the same problem?

C.H.Ling

Not certain of you were asking me about this. Mine is apparently an older version (perhaps only mechanically ??) of the lens, although it is definitely multi-coated. Aperture blades stay wide open . . . fully retracted . . . at all apertures until the shutter fires . . . as Frieder's does. No sluggishness or hesitation.

I bought it with apprehension about a 3X zoom range and the high number of elements (especially compared to a prime). It has been a very pleasant surprise. I do not have adequate equipment to test its resolving power. It would be more accurate to say it produces images with exceptionally high acutance, a perception of resolution from a combination of resolution and contrast.

If I'm somewhere (especially outdoors) and more than one lens is completely impractical, this is the one that's used. I also found that proper dioptric correction on the viewfinder greatly improved focusing with this lens!

-- John