Re: [OM] Shutter Tapering

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter Tapering
From: Michael & Angela Butler <abutler@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:43:19 -0700
p.j. wrote in reply to my reply:
The only problem that I see with this setup is that it would take a long
time
to read numerous shutter speed tests and be somewhat arbitrary.  Cool
Edit
just doesn't seem to user friendly at such close magnification.

p.j.
    I think I used a custom time base in Cool Edit that allows a
resolution of 50,000 samples a second.  It seems very consistent.  I
just noticed that I was using an older version: Cool Edit 96 on my old
PC, I may have to down load the current version to see if there are any
changes.  With the old version I would just take five or six shots at
each speed.  Then using the cursor on the graphics screen "pick" off the
points to be measured, there is a digital counter of where the cursors
are that has resolution dependent on the time scale.  At the most, I may
have spent a hour thoroughly testing a camera, and the data can be saved
for later comparison.  Give me a couple of days and I will download the
new version.  I just picked up a Canonet QL17 GIII for $40 that needs
foam.  I will test the speeds and evaluate the current version.  The
thing I like best is the actual data can be stored.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California

PS.  I met a Zuikoholic today at the Santa Clara Camera show who many of
you have probably been bidding against.  His name is Jim Brokaw and with
any luck he will join the list soon.  It sounds like he may have a
collection to rival Tom Scales'.