Re: [OM] Hello, My Name is Rich and I'm a Zuikoholic

Subject: Re: [OM] Hello, My Name is Rich and I'm a Zuikoholic
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 00:07:02 +0000
Hello Rich, my name is John and I'm a Zuiko -- er, um, uh -- hobbyist (whew, that was a close one).

At 04:05 4/8/01, Rich wrote:
For those of you new to the list, maybe new to photography, maybe still
trying to decide just which OM model to decide on, or to get NEXT, or others
who have never had the JOY of owning and using one of the original OM-1s or
OM-1ns, TRY one!  But be warned!  Once you see it, hold it, and use it,
you'll  want one very very much!  What a beautiful little machine they are!
Perfect for student or serious amateur, or even a pro independent enough to
think for himself.  Especially perfect for those individuals who appreciate
well-made things.

I got an OM-1n a while back because of its mechanical shutter and utility in extremely cold weather. It is indeed a joy to handle. Has a slightly different feel to it than the OM-2S and OM-4 do and it's hard to explain why . . . not that they're bad either . . . just slightly different.

As a basic manual exposure system SLR with coupled TTL metering, it's been a "thinking man's" camera for me. The OM-2S and OM-4 certainly have some very convenient features, but they are conveniences. The OM-1[n] has all you need in a 35mm system SLR, nothing more and nothing less. My rapid fondness for it very likely dates back about 32 years when I bought a used Yashica J-5 with a Yashinon 55/1.2 lens. Was in high school and had to scrimp and save my nickels and dimes working at night for it. The OM-1n has been similar in operation.

-- John