Re: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.

Subject: Re: [OM] eSIF @ nbci R.I.P.
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 07:59:30 -0400
I don't get a lot of extra compression with .ZIP files on top of .PDFs. 20% may be optimistic. How much extra compression you get depends on the compression methodology used in the creation of the original PDF.

IMO, changing the PDFs to ZIPs is a lot of work to compress all those files and change the page links for a marginal space-savings return. I'd concentrate on finding a new hosting service.

Skip

At 12:43 AM 4/8/01 +0200, you wrote:

 Hans,

> We also might want to consider making the .PDF files password activated or
> some other way to prevent spiders from crawling the site to pick up all
> those attachments.
>
> How much space does the eSIF take up with and without the .PDF files?

Have you thought about compressing all .PDF files ?

that should reduce at least 20 % af the data from pdf files.
(I just checked some files and used gzip on a UNIX-like system.
 WinZip should do also a good job. you can easily decompress gzip'ed files
 with WinZip or any other ZIP packer (but not vice versa because
 gzip can only handle 1 file in an archive where winzip and other zippers
 put many files in it -- historical reason for this)

ok, one disadvantage everyone HAS to HAVE a zip de/packer.
One advantage download of the files goes faster as the on the fly compression
of the modem is normaly not so good as precompressed stuff.

just my $0.02

Rudy
  Berlin/Germany